Saturday, August 25, 2012

The First Step



The water is still, like glass, as I sit at its edge
-       Jesus, sitting with me, encourages me to step out,
-       Step out into the water

I hesitate…

What if I slip?
What if I lose my grip?
What if my energy for this cause drains away?
What if I don’t finish just like so many times before?
What if I fail?

This still pool of water awaits my step
-       It is there for me

Can the ripples of my stepping into my pool reach pools by which others sit?
-       Can they reach pools around the world?
-       A child’s pool stilled by dreams shattered
-       A woman’s pool stilled by hope taken
-       A man’s pool stilled by options lost
-       Pools of those living under oppression and injustice
-       Pools waiting to be stirred

I stand and pause…

Will I trust Him?
Will I take the risk?
Will I go in?
Will I take this step?

I take Jesus’ hand and we step into the water
- The ripples start slowly then gain momentum…rolling away
-       I pray they become unending ripples of God’s provision sent out, leaving hearts touched, souls awakened, and the oppressed free around the world

You are sitting by your still pool
-       You are not alone
-       Is it time for your first step?

Take His hand, trust Him, and go in…

© 2012 by Brooke F Sulahian

No comments:

Post a Comment